18 Feb Forget Paris, There is Plenty of Romance in Madrid!
Valentine’s Day might have been last week, but here at the Nanny Line, we help our families find romance all year long. With our occasional, part-time, full-time, and holiday nannies we can provide you with the expert childcare you need to plan a romantic date nights and weekends away. So, pull out your calendars and start planning for a romantic Madrid date for two!
This week, we’ve selected the city’s most romantic hotels, restaurants, and activities to keep your passion going long past Valentine’s Day. Even if you call Madrid home, nothing sparks romance like “staycation” in a fancy hotel without the kids!
Find a Romantic Roost for your Madrid Stay
Madrid’s hotels offer you all kinds of opportunities for a romantic overnight getaway. If you are traveling from Barcelona, Renfe’s new budget (only 10€) fast train will leave you plenty of extra funds to splurge on a luxury hotel room or gourmet dinner!
Here are some to check out:
- Hotel Único, right at the heart Madrid’s shopping district, this boutique hotel has a pretty garden and a restaurant with 2 Michelin stars.
- Hotel Urban, 5-star boutique hotel with avant-garde architecture and hip rooftop terrace and bar, located right in Madrid’s “golden triangle” of art museums.
- Hospes Puerta de Alcala, just opposite El Retiro park, this architectural jewel in the Salamanca district of Madrid offers you a peaceful escape and even underground access to the Bodyna Spa for ultimate R&R.
- Hotel Aire de Bardenas, what’s more romantic than stargazing with your sweetheart? Why not head to the country (about a 3 hour drive from either Madrid or Barcelona) to truly escape? At this architectural-marvel guests can soak up the nature of the nearby Parque Natural de las Bardenas de Navarra from their unique “bubble” or “cube” rooms. Many of the rooms even offer their own outdoor soaking tubs or courtyards.
Need more lodging options? The Nanny Line works closely with the Marriott-affiliated hotels in Madrid (there are more than 22) conveniently located around the city. Let us know if you aren’t able to leave the kids behind. We can still arrange for one of our hotel nannies or occasional babysitters to watch the little ones while you have an amazing Madrid date night.
Love at first Bite
Madrileños are known for their love of gourmet food, wine and late night celebrations. These are some of the yummiest places in Madrid where you might find Cupid:
- El Viejo Leon French food just oozes romance, and this Madrid institution is the perfect place to rekindle yours.
- La Parra Restaurant, originally a famous Spanish restaurant in London in the 1950’s, the same family’s second generation still serves up swoon-worthy anglo-andalucian delicacies such as steak tartare and apple crumble.
- Bodega de Los Secretos Located in the oldest winery in central Madrid, you and your sweetheart can enjoy delicious Mediterranean cuisine in historic subterranean caves and alcoves.
- Jardin Secreto, Quirky ambiance, an eclectic menu and multiple desserts with “orgasm” in their name makes this Secret Garden the perfect place for an afternoon tea and dessert or a cozy romantic dinner for two.
- La Fisna Wine Bar is an intimate setting for tasting different varieties from Spain’s diverse vineyards, loved by tourists and locals.
- Platea is a former theater converted into “Europe’s largest gastronomic leisure space” with several floors of market stalls, restaurants and bars where you can enjoy tapas and wine.
Atardecer like a local at the Temple de Debod
There is a reason why Spaniards have a special word to describe the sun setting. Because Spanish sunsets are so spectacular, especially when viewed with ancient Egyptian temple in the foreground. Cuartel de la Montana park became home to the reconstructed temple after the Egyptian government gifted it to Spain. The peaceful glow of the setting sun’s rays reflecting in the pools surrounding the 2nd century Egyptian temple creates the perfect background for a special romantic evening.
Madrid is filled with gorgeous, historic green spaces and parks just calling for an afternoon or sunset picnic. Some romantic destinations include El Buen Retiro, Casa del Campo (Madrid’s biggest park), or Parque El Capricho de la Alameda de Osuna. The Retiro is a lover’s paradise: you can rent a rowboat for two, stroll through the Rose Garden in spring’s full bloom or explore the Crystal Palace that seems to come straight out of Disney princess movie. You can even special order a romance-themed picnic basket to be delivered to your picnic site. Picnic Madrid offers a “Romantic Touch” picnic basket filled with strawberries, chocolate, heart-shaped candies and of course Cava!
Heat things up at the Hammam
Looking for something more exotic than a couple’s massage? Why explore an authentic Arab hammam? At Madrid’s Al Ándalus you can take a “water journey” with that special person in your life, enjoying Arab baths, soap bubble cleansing rituals, steam rooms, and floating weightless in salt pools.
It Takes Two to Tango
Did you know trying something new together as a couple will bring you closer? Madrid’s locals offer more creative date night ideas than you will ever be able to dream up through Airbnb Experience, With Locals, or Get Your Guide. What about dance lessons together? Dance Madrid offers private tango, salsa, flamenco and burlesque dance classes in English. Feeling creative? Enjoy a beginning painting and wine tasting evening with a bilingual Spanish artist through this airbnb experience. Tapas tours, cooking classes, exploring Madrid’s nightclubs with a local guide, even a unique rooftop artistic light show… you can find it all in Spain’s capital city.
But why date nights?
In today’s busy lifestyles, many couples (especially those with younger children) neglect their relationship. It is important to have regular, planned time together. This can help build emotional connectedness and maintain your love for each other.
Some couples find it easier to schedule a regular date night. We suggest booking your babysitter ahead of time. That way, it will be harder for either one of you to cancel last-minute! Our multilingual occasional babysitters are all prescreened prior to being hired and can easily be booked online.
Other couples are only able to truly relax and feel romantic when they are not in their own home. Whether you choose a hotel in romantic Madrid, a creative date night in Barcelona, or an escape to Ibiza, we can help! We have babysitters and nannies standing by at the Nanny Line. We even offer gift cards for babysitting services. We all know couples in serious need of a date night, but who love to use the “no babysitter” excuse!